- Chop the onions, tomatoes, and basil into fine pieces. Combine onions, tomatoes, basil, and capers in a mixing bowl, stirring in the vinegar and olive oil (red wine vinegar can be used, if necessary, instead of the balsamic vinegar). Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Prepare the prosciutto ham by cutting the short direction of the slices into narrow strips approximately 1/2 inch wide. Cut in half again, if desired, to provide small pieces for the topping.
- Preheat oven on broil. Cut baguette bread into individual slices approximately 1/2 inch thick. A smaller sized baguette about 2 to 3 inches in diameter works well.
- Arrange pieces of bread on a baking sheet and place the sheet in the middle of the oven to toast the bread. Allow 1 to 2 minutes or remove when golden brown.
- Keep the toasted slices on the baking sheet and brush one side of the warm bread with olive oil. If desired for added flavor, the pieces of bread can be rubbed with a clove of garlic prior to brushing on the olive oil or use a garlic flavored olive oil.
- Top each piece of bread with approximately 1 teaspoon of the tomato, onion, and caper mixture and then a small piece or a folded piece of prosciutto ham.
- Top the ham with 1/4 teaspoon of cheese and then place the baking sheet containing the slices under the broiler on the middle oven rack to melt the cheese, approximately 1 minute or until slightly melted.
- Remove from oven and serve.
This recipe is sufficient for 42 smaller pieces sliced from a French baguette with leftover topping remaining. Therefore, larger pieces of French bread can be used if desired, but the total amount of available topping will depend on the amount placed on each piece. Also, the amount of cheese may need to be doubled.
|Cook Time: 5 minutes|
Container: Mixing bowl - makes 2 1/2 cups of topping
Serving Size: 1 each
|-||2 cups 2 large tomatoes, chopped fine|
|-|| red onion, chopped fine|
|-||2 tablespoons capers|
|-||1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped|
|-||2 ounces fresh mozzarella or burrata cheese|
|-||2 ounces prosciutto ham, thinly sliced|
|-||2 tablespoons balsamic or red wine vinegar|
|-||4 tablespoons olive oil|
|-|| loaf, French baguette bread|
|-|| salt and pepper to taste|