- Heat grill to medium heat.
- Brush bread with 1/4 cup olive oil and 1/4 teaspoon of kosher salt and a few grinds of pepper. Grill bread on both sides, watching closely, until nicely browned.
- When bread is cool enough to handle, cut into 1/2 inch cubes.
- In a small bowl, soak the shallots in the vinegar for 10 minutes. With a slotted spoon, transfer the shallots to a large bowl, reserving the vinegar.
- Sprinkle the garlic with 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt and mash into paste with the side of a chef's knife. Whisk the mashed garlic, the remaining 1/4 cup olive oil, 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper into the reserved vinegar. Toss the bread cubes, tomatoes, cucumber, basil, mint, capers, and vinaigrette in the bowl with shallots.
- Season the panzanella to taste with salt and pepper and serve.
|Prep Time: 20 minutes|
Cook Time: 5 minutes
Container: Large Salad Bowl
|-||4 slices 1/2 inch thick sourdough bread|
|-||1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil|
|-|| kosher salt and black pepper|
|-||1 small shallot|
|-||3 tablespoons red wine vinegar|
|-||1 clove garlic, coarsely chopped|
|-||1 1/2 pounds ripe, meaty tomatoes, cut into 1/2 cubes (1 1/2 cups)|
|-||1 small English cucumber, cut into 1/2 cubes (1 1/2 cups)|
|-||3 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped|
|-||3 tablespoons fresh mint, chopped|
|-||2 tablespoons capers, drained, rinsed|