- Clean strawberries and cut into quarters. Place in a bowl and mash slightly. Sprinkle with 1/3 cup of sugar and stir until mixed in thoroughly. Set strawberries aside.
- Pour the milk into a heavy saucepan. Over medium heat bring the milk to a gentle simmer (approximately 175Â° F) or until it begins to bubble around the edges. Remove from the heat.
- After removing from the heat, add remaining sugar and salt to the milk and stir until completely dissolved. Add half and half, vanilla, and whipping cream. Stir until well blended. Pour into a bowl and allow mixture to cool to room temperature.
- Once the mixture has cooled, cover with plastic wrap and allow the mixture to age in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours (or up to 24 hours). This aging process will produce ice cream with more body and a smoother texture.
- Finish mashing strawberries to desired consistency (this should make approximately 2 1/2 cups of sauce). Cover the strawberries and place them in the refrigerator until just before adding them to the ice cream.
- After aging (chilling) the mixture, remove from the refrigerator and stir. The ice cream is now ready for the freezing process.
- Follow the ice cream maker's instruction manual on the freezing process.
- When the ice cream has thickened, but is still too soft to scoop, add the strawberries and stir until they are evenly distributed. Or, add the strawberries and start the ice cream maker churning again to stir them into the ice cream. Some makers have an opening in the top that is used to add flavorings as the ice cream is churning.
- Once the strawberries are mixed in, scrape the ice cream into another container with an airtight cover. Be sure to leave at least 1/2 inch head space for expansion. Place the ice cream in the freezer for several hours to harden before serving.
|Prep Time: 6 or more hours|
Cook Time: 10 minutes
|-||3 cups quartered strawberries|
|-||1/3 cup sugar|
|-||1 cup milk|
|-||1 cup sugar|
|-||1/4 teaspoon salt|
|-||1/2 tablespoon vanilla extract|
|-||1 cup half and half|
|-||2 cups chilled whipping cream|