- Heat oil in large oven-proof pan. Salt and pepper chicken pieces, skin off or on, as preferred. Brown chicken well on all sides and set aside.
- Add onion, bell pepper and sausage to pan (use more oil, if needed) and cook until onion softens, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and tomatoes and stir to get up any browned bits from the pan. Add stock, 1 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper, and the turmeric.
- Stir in rice and return browned chicken to pan. Cover and bake in 350° F. degree oven (or simmer on stovetop) until rice and chicken are tender and most of the liquid is absorbed, about 30-40 minutes. Add water or tomato juice, if mixture looks dry before rice is done.
- Prepare the shrimp: peel and devein, if necessary, and sautÃ© until cooked (until color changes to bright orange) about 5 minutes.
- Arrange shrimp, olives, and lemon slices on top of rice. Serve hot.
|Container: large pan with lid|
|-||6 chicken thighs, or 3 lb chicken, cut up|
|-||3 tablespoons olive oil|
|-||1 large onion, chopped|
|-||1 bell pepper, chopped|
|-||1/2 pound garlic-y sausage, sliced|
|-||6 cloves garlic, or to taste, sliced|
|-||2 cups tomatoes, chopped, with juice (fresh or canned)|
|-||4 cups chicken stock|
|-||1 teaspoon turmeric|
|-|| salt and pepper|
|-||2 cups rice|
|-||12 large shrimp|
|-||12 black olives|
|-||1 small lemon, cut into wedges|