- Prepare angel food cake as directed on the package. Allow to cool.
- If using fresh strawberries, clean the berries, remove hulls, and cut into quarters. Sprinkle with 1/4 cup of sugar. Mash slightly and set aside.
- Dissolve gelatin in the hot water and then add the ice cream by spoonfuls. Stir until ice cream has melted. Place in refrigerator and chill for 20 minutes.
- After the fresh strawberries have sat for at least 15 minutes, mash them again until they are the desired consistency. This should produce approximately 1 1/2 cups of mashed strawberries. Fold strawberries and whipping cream into the ice cream mixture.
- Tear cooled angel food cake into pieces and place in the bottom of a 9 x 13 baking dish in a single layer.
- Pour a layer of the strawberry mixture over the cake pieces. Continue to alternate layers of cake and mixture.
- Place in the refrigerator and chill until set.
- Note: Cake and mixture can also be layered in a large glass bowl.
|Prep Time: 1 hour|
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Container: 9 x 13 baking dish
|-||1 package angel food cake mix|
|-||1 package strawberry gelatin (3 oz.)|
|-||1 1/4 cups hot water|
|-||2 cups strawberry ice cream|
|-||1 pint fresh strawberries or 10 oz. frozen strawberries|
|-||1 cup whipping cream|