- Bake cake according to package directions or purchase a ready made cake from your local bakery.
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese, sugar, salt, and vanilla until smooth.
- In a small bowl, whip the heavy cream until stiff peaks form.
- Fold the whipped cream into the cream cheese mixture.
- With a spatula, lightly coat the cake with a thin layer of frosting. This layer will act as a glue to keep all of the crumbs together and on the cake.
- Place cake in freezer for approximately 15 minutes, or until the first layer of frosting sets.
- Generously apply the second layer of frosting. This will be the decorative layer. The crumbs will not show through since they have been set into the first layer.
- Wipe with a damp paper towel and remove the stems of four ripe strawberries. Cut the strawberries into thin slices. Approximately four slices per strawberry.
- Arrange three to four slices into a flower or star pattern on the top of the frosted cake.
- Place two to three washed and dried blueberries into the center of the strawberry stars.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- The fruit can be arranged in different ways and still achieve a patriotic effect.
|Prep Time: 30 minutes|
Cook Time: 30 minutes
|-||1 angelfood cake mix or prepared cake|
|-||2 packages 16 oz. total of softened cream cheese|
|-||2 cups white sugar|
|-||1/4 teaspoon salt|
|-||2 teaspoons vanilla extract|
|-||3 cups heavy cream|
|-||4 ripe strawberries|