- Rinse and drain wild rice. Add rice to 2 cups water and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Bring to boil, reduce heat, and simmer until rice is tender, about 45 minutes. Drain.
- Slice chicken into strips about 1/4 inch wide and 1 1/2 inches long. Wash asparagus, trim off tough ends and cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces.
- Heat oil in large skillet. When hot, add chicken pieces. Salt and pepper lightly. Cook 2-3 minutes, stir, and cook another minute or two, or until no pink remains. Spoon into a bowl, leaving any juices in the pan.
- Add asparagus to pan and cook, stirring for several minutes, until asparagus is bright green. Add wine or other liquid to asparagus and cook, stirring, until liquid evaporates. Add asparagus to chicken in bowl.
- Remove pan from heat, add a tablespoon or two of the milk or stock and mix in the cornstarch, stirring until smooth. Add rest of liquid, return pan to heat and cook, stirring constantly, until thickened, 2-3 minutes. Taste for seasoning, add salt and pepper to taste, and stir in chicken and asparagus.
- Put cooked wild rice on a serving dish, arrange chicken mixture on top, drizzle with lemon juice, and serve.
|Prep Time: 15 minutes|
Cook Time: 1 hour
|-||1 cup cooked wild rice, or 1/2 cup raw|
|-||12 ounces boneless, skinless chicken breast|
|-||8 ounces fresh asparagus|
|-||1 tablespoon olive oil|
|-||1/4 cup white wine, broth or water|
|-||1 cup milk or chicken stock|
|-||1 teaspoon corn starch|
|-||2 tablespoons lemon juice|
|-|| salt and pepper|