- Preheat oven to 400° F. Trim any silverskin or large areas of fat from the meat.
- Mix mustard, oil, rosemary, and soy sauce into a paste and spread over top and sides of meat. Coarsely grind black pepper over the mustard-coated lamb, about 2 teaspoons total pepper. (If your pepper grinder doesn't have a coarse setting, mash whole peppercorns in a mortar and pestle, or crush with a heavy skillet).
- Put meat in a roasting pan or baking dish and roast to desired doneness. Use an instant-read thermometer ( roast to 125° F to have the meat medium-rare after standing) or figure about 22 - 23 minutes per pound for medium rare. Cook about 10 minutes longer for medium.
- Remove meat, cover loosely with foil, and let stand for 15 - 20 minutes. Don't skip this step--the standing time allows the meat to finish cooking and the juices to be redistributed through the roast.
- Carve and serve. Cabernet sauvignon or syrah are good wine choices.
- TIP: Turn the oven off when roast is removed and put in dinner plates. Serve the carved lamb on warm plates.
|Prep Time: 15 minutes|
Cook Time: 2 hours
|-||1 leg of lamb, 4 - 6 pounds|
|-||3 tablespoons flavorful mustard|
|-||1 tablespoon olive oil|
|-||1 tablespoon soy sauce|
|-||2 teaspoons very finely chopped rosemary, or 1 teaspoon dry, pulverized|
|-||2 teaspoons coarse freshly ground pepper|