- Trim asparagus by snapping off the tough ends of the spears. (See TIP).
- In a container large enough to lay the spears flat, bring to boil enough water to cover the asparagus generously.
- While waiting for the water to boil, make the vinaigrette: whisk together lemon juice and oil. Add salt and pepper to taste. Set aside. Remove zest from lemon, if using.
- Add asparagus to boiling water, return to a boil, and begin testing for doneness (when a sharp knife easily pierces a spear) after 2 minutes. Thick spears may take several minutes more. Don't over cook!
- To serve warm, drain well and pour vinaigrette over. Add zest, if using. To serve cold, drain, rinse in cold water, and refrigerate until needed. Add vinaigrette just before serving.
- TIP: The tough ends removed in preparing the spears can be peeled and reserved for another preparation.
|Prep Time: 10 minutes|
Cook Time: 5 minutes
Serving Size: pound
|-||1 pound fresh asparagus|
|-||2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice|
|-||3 tablespoons olive or canola oil|
|-|| salt and pepper|
|-||1 teaspoon lemon zest (optional)|