- Wash asparagus under cold running water. To prepare young, tender asparagus, simply trim off the bottom ends of the stalks where the green color fades, but do not remove the top spears. To prepare larger or tougher spears, simply cut off the tough woody ends (do not remove the spears). If the spear seems somewhat tough, peel the skin with a vegetable peeler to remove the fiberous skin. (If visual presentation is important, trim the spears so they are the same length.)
- Tie prepared asparagus into bundles for easier handling or steaming. This will allow the asparagus to stand up (depending on pot type) while steaming to ensure even cooking.
- Place bundled asparagus upright in a double boiler or tall covered pot. Pour 2 inches of water into pot. Bring water to a boil. Once the water has begun to boil, cover. Steam asparagus until crisp tender, 2 to 8 minutes.
|Cooking time will vary depending on the thickness and age of the asparagus. Fresh asparagus requires less cooking. |
- Blend the cornstarch with 1 cup of the cooled cooking liquid in a small sauce pan. Bring to a boil, stirring frequently until slightly thickened. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- In a separate bowl, beat egg yolks and fresh lemon juice.
- Over low heat, slowly pour egg yolk and lemon juice mixture into cooled cornstarch water while constantly whisking. Remove from heat when sauce has reached desired consistency. Whisk sauce for an additional minute.
- Season to taste.
- Place cooked, cooled and drained asparagus on serving plate. Garnish with lemon sauce.
- Cover and chill a minimum of 2 hours before serving.
- If desired, use remaining sauce at serving time. (For presentation, the asparagus can be tied and decorated with the citrus peel of a lemon by using a zesting knife to carve a small string of peel from the outer rind.)
|Prep Time: 10 minutes|
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Serving Size: 6 ounces
|-||1 1/2 pounds asparagus |
|-||1 cup cooking liquid from prepared asparagus|
|-||1 tablespoon cornstarch |
|-||2 egg yolks |
|-||4 tablespoons lemon juice - fresh|
|-|| salt to taste|