- Combine the sugar, salt and 4 quarts of water in a large bowl and stir until the sugar and salt are dissolved. Add the remaining ingredients.
- Place the turkey in the stockpot and add the brining solution. Add enough cold water to the stockpot so that the turkey is completely submerged.
- Cover the container and place in the refrigerator or another cold storage area. Allow the turkey to stand in the brining solution for about 10 to 12 hours.
- After the required soaking time, remove it from the container and thoroughly rinse under cold water. The brining solution should be discarded because it cannot be reused.
- The turkey can be cooked using several cooking methods, such as roasting, grilling and deep frying.
|Prep Time: 30 minutes|
Container: Large Stockpot
|-|| 12 to 14 lb. turkey (not pre-basted or kosher)|
|-||1 cup sugar|
|-||1 1/2 cups kosher salt|
|-||2 bay leaves, broken into pieces|
|-||1/3 cup fresh chopped thyme|
|-||1 head of garlic, peel and separate cloves|
|-||4 juniper berries, smashed|
|-||4 allspice berries, whole|