- If using oven instead of crockpot, preheat oven to 350° F.
- Place 5 to 6 pounds of roast beef in a Dutch oven or crockpot. In a bowl mix together dry soup, black pepper and concentrated beef soup base. Pour soup mixture over roast. Add water to Dutch oven to cover half of the roast. Omit water, if using a crockpot.
- Oven bake a minimum of 4 hours, or for a crockpot, set temperature on high for 20 minutes, then cook on low 8 to 10 hours. Meat is finished cooking when it pulls apart easily. Allow meat to cool, then shred.
- Skim any excess fat from remaining juices. Place meat into juices and reheat for serving.
- Grate cheddar cheese into strips. Add shredded cheese over the top of the meat and heat briefly to melt the cheese, or if the meat is sufficiently hot, allow cheese to melt over hot meat.
|Prep Time: 15 minutes|
Cook Time: 6 or more hours
Container: Dutch oven or crockpot
Serving Size: 4 ounces
|-||5 pounds roast beef|
|-||1 packet dry onion soup mix|
|-||1 tablespoon black pepper - more to taste|
|-||1/4 cup concentrated beef soup base|
|-||3 cups cheddar cheese shredded|
|-|| water - as much as needed|
|-||10 hoagie buns - use 1/2 of bun for each sandwich|