- Preheat oven to 375. Oil a 2 quart baking dish.
- Put 1 1/2 cups of corn (drained, if using canned corn) in food processor bowl, along with coarsely chopped onion. Process to a creamy puree.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs, add melted butter and buttermilk, and mix well. Add 1/2 cup unpureed corn and the pureed corn-and-onion mix. Stir in well.
- Stir together cornmeal, baking soda, and salt. Add to the liquid mixture. Put half of this batter into prepared dish. Sprinkle with cheese and top with remaining batter.
- Bake until the top is set and slightly browned, about 1 hour. center should be creamy, not dry. Serve with salsa if desired.
- TIP: To sour milk as a substitute for buttermilk: put 1 tablespoon vinegar in measuring cup, fill with milk, stir gently and let stand several minutes.
|Prep Time: 15 minutes|
Cook Time: 1 hour
|-||2 cups whole kernel corn, divided (fresh, frozen or canned)|
|-||1 cup cornmeal|
|-||1/3 cup butter|
|-||1 cup buttermilk (substitute soured milk; see TIP)|
|-||1/2 teaspoon baking soda|
|-||1 teaspoon salt|
|-||1 cup freshly grated or shredded cheese|