- Wash lemons thoroughly. Trim zest from lemons using a vegetable peeler. Cut wide strips, being careful not to cut into the white pith layer below. Cut zest strips lengthwise to create thin julienne strips.
- Place julienne strips in a small sauce pan and cover with cold water. Cook over medium heat until the water comes to a simmer. Continue to simmer for 6 minutes.
- Remove from heat, drain strips and then return them to the sauce pan. Add water and sugar to the lemon strips in the sauce pan. Bring the mixture to a simmer. Continue to cook over low heat until the lemon strips turn translucent. The water and sugar should be starting to thicken. Cooking time will be approximately 10 to 15 minutes.
- When done cooking, remove strips from the pan and spread out on a sheet of wax paper. Separate the strips on the wax paper so they are not in clumps.
- Once they have cooled slightly, roll in sugar until they are well coated.
|Prep Time: 45 minutes|
Cook Time: 45 minutes
|-||1/3 cup water|
|-||1/3 cup sugar|
|-|| sugar to coat zest strips|