- Remove the zest from two oranges using a vegetable peeler. If any pith (the white bitter layer of the peel) is removed with the zest, trim or scrape it off with a paring knife. Place the zest, water, and sugar in a sauce pan and bring the mixture to a boil, stirring until the sugar is dissolved. Reduce heat to a simmer, cover, and cook for five minutes.
- After the mixture has simmered, drain the syrup from the zest and allow the syrup to cool. Once the syrup has cooled, combine it with the orange juice and the lemon juice, and stir thoroughly. Pour mixture into a baking dish, cover with plastic wrap, and seal tightly.
- Place in the freezer for 4 to 5 hours, until mixture is firm. (At the same time, place a glass mixing bowl in the freezer so it is chilled when the mixture is ready to beat.)
- When mixture is firm, remove from freezer and scoop it out in small chunks and place in the chilled mixing bowl. When all the mixture is in the mixing bowl, beat on low speed with an electric mixer just until fluffy. Do not allow it to melt. Place the beaten mixture in a freezer container and return to the freezer until firm.
- Remove the sorbet from freezer and allow it to stand a few minutes before serving, so it softens enough to scoop out easily. Spoon into a serving dish and serve immediately.
|Prep Time: 45 minutes|
Serving Size: cup
|-|| zest (orange colored outer layer of the peel) from 2 oranges|
|-||2 cups water|
|-||1 1/3 cups sugar|
|-||3 cups fresh orange juice (use oranges with zest removed plus juice from 4 to 5 additional oranges)|
|-||4 tablespoons lemon juice|