- Cook rice in 1 1/2 cups water with 1/2 teaspoon salt until rice is just tender, about 45 minutes ( time will be less if using white rice; follow package directions).
- If using frozen greens, set out to thaw. If using fresh greens, wash, trim off stems and chop coarsely. Chop the onion, slice the celery thinly and mince the garlic.
- Make the meatballs: mix ground lamb with cardamom, 1 teaspoon salt, a few grinds of pepper and lemon zest, if using. Shape into approximately 24 small balls.
- Lightly film a heavy saucepan with oil. Over medium heat, brown the meatballs and set aside. Pour off all but 1 tablespoon of fat, leaving any browned bits in the pan. Add the onions and celery and cook until the onions soften, about 5 minutes. Add garlic, 4 cups water, bay leaf, thyme, chopped greens and rice.
- Simmer until rice and vegetables are tender. Correct seasoning and serve hot.
|Prep Time: 45 minutes|
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Container: 3 or 4 quart saucepan
|-||1/2 cup rice, preferably long grain brown, or use 1 1/2 cups cooked rice|
|-||1 pound ground lamb|
|-||1/2 teaspoon cardamom|
|-||1 teaspoon lemon zest (optional)|
|-||1 package frozen greens (spinach, chard etc) or use about 1 pound fresh greens|
|-||1 medium onion|
|-||2 stalks celery|
|-||2 cloves garlic, or more if desired|
|-||1 teaspoon thyme, crumbled|
|-||1 bay leaf|
|-|| water, oil for pan, salt and pepper|