- If using oven, preheat to 400Â°F. Scrub potatoes, pierce with a fork and bake until soft, about 1 hour in oven or 20 minutes in microwave.
- While potatoes cook, make the filling. Chop onion and dried fruit; mince the garlic. Mix 1/2 teaspoon salt into the ground lamb and brown in lightly oiled skillet. Remove lamb and drain off all but 1 tablespoon of any accumulated fat. If there is no fat, add 1 tablespoon olive oil or butter and cook the onion until golden, about 5 minutes. Add garlic, fruit, almonds, allspice, turmeric, a pinch of salt and a few grinds of pepper. Stir and cook several minutes.
- Mix wine and tomato paste and add to onion mixture. Stir in the lamb. Stir and cook 2 minutes. The mixture should be quite thick, but if it seems dry, add a little water. Remove from heat and set aside while preparing the potatoes.
- Slice baked potatoes in half the long way. Carefully scoop out the insides, leaving a thin shell of potato to protect the skin. Mash the scooped-out potato with yogurt and a pinch of salt. Use more yogurt or a little milk if the potatoes seem too dry.
- Gently press mashed potatoes back into the scooped out shells, leaving room at the center for the the meat filling. Fill and reheat in oven or microwave until warm.
|Prep Time: 1 hour|
Cook Time: 15 minutes
|-||4 baking potatoes, about 8 oz each|
|-||1/2 pound ground lamb|
|-||2 cloves garlic|
|-||2 tablespoons dried apricots or other dried fruit (raisins cranberries, etc)|
|-||1 tablespoon slivered or coarsely chopped almonds|
|-||1/4 teaspoon allspice|
|-||1/2 teaspoon turmeric|
|-||1/2 cup dry wine (substitute water or juice)|
|-||1 tablespoon tomato paste|
|-||1/4 cup plain yogurt (may need more)|
|-|| salt and pepper|