- Remove the wilted, discolored and thick outer leaves of the cabbage and cut the remaining head into quarters. Remove the hard inner core from each quarter.
- Thinly shred the cabbage to produce approximately 8 cups. Shred carrots and set shredded cabbage and carrots aside.
- Combine sour cream, mayonnaise, vinegar, sugar, salt, and pepper in a large bowl and whisk until well blended.
- Add shredded cabbage and carrots. Toss until cabbage and carrots are evenly coated.
- Let the coleslaw stand at room temperature, uncovered, until cabbage is wilted, approximately 25 to 30 minutes. Toss 1 or 2 times while it is standing.
- After it is wilted, place in the refrigerator to chill.
- The coleslaw can be made the day before and refrigerated until ready to use.(A sprinkle of paprika perks up the appearance of the slaw.)
|Prep Time: 45 minutes|
|-||2 pounds cabbage|
|-||3 carrots (medium size)|
|-||1/4 cup sour cream|
|-||1/2 cup mayonnaise|
|-||2 tablespoons cider vinegar|
|-||1 teaspoon sugar|
|-|| Salt and pepper to taste|