- In a large bowl, mix the flour and salt together. Cut butter into 1/4 inch slices. Using a pastry blender, cut the chilled shortening and butter into the flour and salt mixture until it forms coarse crumbs. The crumbs should resemble tiny split peas.
- Sprinkle the flour and fat mixture with 3 tbsp. of ice water. Gently mix, using a fork. If the crust seems dry, add more water, one tablespoon at a time. Only add enough water to make the dough hold together when a small piece is pinched between the fingers. Mix dough gently and quickly. Gather dough to form a ball, but do not overwork it.
- Flatten the dough into a 4 to 6 inch disk and place on a cool, floured surface. Starting in the center, roll the crust outward. After every couple of rolls, rotate the rolling angle about 45Â° until you have rolled all around the crust. Always start rolling from the middle.
- Check crust frequently to see if it is sticking to the surface. If it begins to stick, dust lightly with flour. Do not use any more flour than necessary. Roll crust until it is approximately 1/8 inch thick and 2 inches larger in diameter than an inverted pie plate.
- Transfer the crust by partially rolling the crust around the rolling pin and gently lifting the crust onto the pie plate. Be careful to center it over the plate without stretching the dough. Once it is properly placed, unroll the crust from the rolling pin. Gently press the crust against the bottom and side of the pie plate. Trim the edges to about 1 inch, fold the overhang under so the crust is flush with the edge of the pie plate and flute the edges.
- Place in the refrigerator for 30 minutes before baking or filling.
- To bake crust before filling, line the inside of the crust with parchment paper or foil and cover the bottom with pie weights or uncooked rice. This will help prevent the crust from forming bubbles while it is baking. Another method to prevent this is to poke the bottom of the crust with a fork several times. If using the weight method, place the crust in an oven preheated to 350Â°F and bake until the crust has just started to turn a light brown. Remove the crust from the oven and lift the weight out. Return the crust to the oven and bake until golden brown.
- Total baking time will be approximately 30 minutes.
|Prep Time: 45 minutes|
Cook Time: 15 minutes
|-||1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour|
|-||1/4 teaspoon salt|
|-||2 tablespoons shortening (chilled)|
|-||4 tablespoons butter or margarine (chilled)|
|-||5 tablespoons ice water|