- Peel and chop or grate the beets, potatoes and carrots. If using fresh vegetables, chop the cabbage, onions and tomatoes.
- Put cabbage, carrots, potatoes, onions and broth in a large pan or stock pot. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for about 30 minutes.
- Add beets, tomatoes and vinegar or lemon juice and simmer until the beets are tender, 20 to 30 minutes.
- Stir in honey or sugar and add salt and pepper to taste. For chunky soup, serve as is, garnished generously with sour cream or plain yogurt. For a smooth soup, cool slightly then purÃƒÂ©e in batches in the blender or food processor.
- Reheat if necessary, and serve. A hearty rye bread is the ideal accompaniment.
|Prep Time: 15 minutes|
Cook Time: 1 hour
Container: Large pan or stock pot
|-||1 pound beets|
|-||1 pound potatoes|
|-||1 pound cabbage|
|-||1 pound tomatoes (or use canned )|
|-||2 quarts broth or stock (beef, chicken or vegetable)|
|-||3 tablespoons vinegar or lemon juice|
|-||1 tablespoon honey or sugar|