- Prepare cauliflower by removing the outer leaves and removing the stalk from the head by cutting around it with a sharp knife. Leave the cauliflower head whole.
- In a large sauce pan, bring salt water to a boil and place the whole head of cauliflower, stem down, into the boiling water. Cook at a gentle boil for 15 to 20 minutes. Check every 5 minutes so cauliflower does not overcook. Cauliflower is done when tender-crisp. Remove cauliflower from boiling water when it is done and allow it to drain, stem side down, in a colander.
- While cauliflower is cooking, place butter (margarine) in a small sauce pan and begin melting. Add flour, salt, pepper, and mustard to butter (margarine) and stir until well mixed and butter is melted.
- Stir in the milk and continue to cook over medium heat until thickened. Add cheese and stir until melted.
- Place the head of cauliflower, stem side down, on a serving platter and pour cheese sauce over the top. Sprinkle with paprika and serve.
|Prep Time: 15 minutes|
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Container: large sauce pan, small sauce pan
|-||1 medium head of cauliflower|
|-||3 tablespoons butter or margarine|
|-||2 tablespoons flour|
|-||1/4 teaspoon salt|
|-||1/4 teaspoon ground pepper|
|-||1/2 teaspoon dry mustard|
|-||1 cup milk|
|-||1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese|