- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease or spray bottom and sides of pan.
- Crust: In a large bowl, mix oatmeal, brown sugar, flour, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg. Cut in the butter until mixture is crumbly. Press 3 cups of crust mixture into bottom of the pan to form a crust.
- Filling mixture: In a large pan, combine rhubarb, sugar, lemon peel and vanilla. Boil for approximately 4 minutes over medium heat, stirring frequently.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, mix cornstarch and water together. Stir until smooth. Add to the cooked rhubarb mixture. Continue cooking until thickened, approximately 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Add the strawberry jello mix and stir until dissolved.
- Remove from heat. Pour cooked rhubarb mixture over crust. Sprinkle remaining crust mixture on top. If desired, sprinkle almonds on top.
- Bake 35-40 minutes. Allow to cool before cutting bars.
|Prep Time: 30 minutes|
Cook Time: 45 minutes
|-||1 1/2 cups oatmeal, regular (uncooked)|
|-||3/4 cup brown sugar, packed|
|-||1 1/2 cups all purpose flour|
|-||1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg, or 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg|
|-||1/2 teaspoon salt|
|-||1 teaspoon ground cinnamon|
|-||3/4 cup butter or margarine|
|-||6 cups rhubarb, chopped fine|
|-||1 cup granulated sugar|
|-||1 tablespoon lemon peel|
|-||2 teaspoons vanilla|
|-||1/4 cup water|
|-||3 tablespoons to 4 tablespoons cornstarch|
|-||3 ounces strawberry jello (dry)|
|-||1/4 cup sliced almonds (optional)|