- Over medium heat, cook the sausage until browned on the outside and no longer pink on the inside. Drain the excess grease. Cool and crumble.
- In a large bowl, mix together eggs, milk, mustard, salt, and pepper.
- Cover the bottom of prepared baking dish with bread cubes. Sprinkle the crumbled sausage, shredded cheese, mushrooms, red peppers, green peppers, and onions on top of the bread.
- Pour the egg mixture over the top of the sausage mixture. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight or at least 4 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 325°. Remove the plastic wrap covering before baking. Bake 55 to 60 minutes, uncovered. Let stand 10 to 15 minutes before serving.
|Prep Time: 30 minutes|
Cook Time: 1 hour
|-||16 ounces Italian sausage|
|-||12 eggs, slightly beaten|
|-||3 cups milk|
|-||1 tablespoon spicy brown mustard|
|-||1/2 teaspoon black pepper|
|-||1 teaspoon salt|
|-||6 cups or 7 cups bread, crust removed and cubed|
|-||3 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded|
|-||1 cup fresh mushrooms, sliced|
|-||1/2 cup roasted red pepper strips|
|-||1/2 cup green pepper, diced|
|-||2 bunches green onions, sliced|