- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, salt, and baking soda. Cut-in 1 cup vegetable shortening. Separate the eggs. Place egg yolks in a one cup measuring cup and add milk to the egg yolks until milk and egg yolks equal 2/3 cups.
- Blend the egg mixture into flour mixture until it reaches a dough consistency.
- Divide the dough in half. Roll out 1/2 of the dough to fit the bottom of the jelly roll pan. The crust will be very thin.
- Cover crust with crushed corn flakes. Cover corn flakes with prepared apple slices.
- In separate bowl, combine sugar and cinnamon. Sprinkle evenly over apple slices.
- Roll out the remaining dough and cover the apple mixture with it. The dough will be very thin.
- Beat remaining egg whites until they appear semi-stiff. Brush the crust with the egg whites.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes. Remove from oven.
- In a small bowl, combine powdered sugar and lemon juice for glaze. Blend until smooth. Adjust consistency (add lemon juice if too dry; add powdered sugar if too runny).
- Drizzle glaze over the top of the warm bars.
- Bars can be served warm or cold, and they freeze well, too.
|Prep Time: 30 minutes|
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Container: jelly roll pan
|-||2 1/2 cups flour - all-purpose|
|-||1 tablespoon sugar, granulated |
|-||1 teaspoon salt |
|-||1 teaspoon baking soda |
|-||1 cup vegetable shortening (not oil)|
|-||2 eggs |
|-|| milk (up to 2/3 cup)|
|-||1 1/2 cups crushed corn flakes|
|-||12 to 14 apples (peeled, cored, and sliced)|
|-||1 1/2 cups sugar, granulated |
|-||2 teaspoons cinnamon |
|-||1 cup powdered sugar |
|-||2 teaspoons lemon juice |