TIP: An easy way to dot with butter is to grate cold butter on a cheese grater and sprinkle grated butter over pie filling.
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Peel, core, and slice apples into 1/2" to 3/4" thick slices and place in a large bowl. Mix sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cornstarch together and sprinkle over the apples.
- Place 1 crust in bottom of pie tin so that it overlaps the edges of pie tin. Pour sliced apples mixture on crust.
- Dot apple mixture with butter (see TIP). Cover apples with remaining crust. Crimp the top crust to the bottom crust. Cut approximately 6 slits in top crust.
- To prevent the crimped crust from overbrowning, cover crimped edges with aluminum foil. Place pie pan on baking sheet and place in oven. Bake 50-60 minutes or until crust is golden in color and apples are soft.
- Serve warm or cold with your favorite topping.
|Prep Time: 15 minutes|
Cook Time: 1 hour
Serving Size: 1 piece
|-||3 pounds apples (or 6 cups sliced apples)|
|-||2/3 cup sugar, granulated |
|-||1 teaspoon cinnamon |
|-||1/4 teaspoon nutmeg - ground (may use freshly grated nutmeg)|
|-||1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch |
|-||15 ounces 9|
|-||1 tablespoon butter - unsalted|