- Beat eggs until light; add sugar and beat until fluffy.
- Mix in buttermilk, melted butter, and vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, nutmeg, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- Blend dry ingredients into the egg and buttermilk mixture.
- Preheat the Crisco or oil to 375° F. in a skillet on the stovetop or in an electric skillet. Be sure there is enough oil in the pan to allow the donuts to float while frying them.
- Fill drop donut maker with dough and start dropping donuts into the preheated oil.
- Fry until the donuts are browned on one side and then turn over; fry until browned on second side.
- Remove from the oil and place on paper towels to cool.
- When cooled, store in an air-tight container.
|Prep Time: 30 minutes|
Cook Time: 90 minutes
|-||2 1/2 cups sugar|
|-||3 cups buttermilk|
|-||6 tablespoons butter, melted|
|-||1/2 teaspoon vanilla|
|-||7 cups flour|
|-||1 teaspoon nutmeg|
|-||2 teaspoons baking soda|
|-||2 teaspoons baking powder|
|-||1/2 teaspoon salt|
|-|| Butter-flavored Crisco or canola oil|