- Mix the Cajun seasoning, salt, and pepper together in a small bowl. Use half the seasoning mixture to rub over the chicken and set the remaining seasoning aside.
- Heat two tablespoons of canola oil to a Dutch oven and add the chicken; brown the chicken and then remove from pan.
- Add the remaining two tablespoons of oil to the pan and stir in the flour until well blended. Cook on low to medium-low for about 30 minutes or until flour mixture is browned. Watch carefully so that it does not burn.
- Add the onion, peppers, and celery to the flour mixture and cook just until vegetables are tender; stir while cooking. Add the garlic and continue to cook for another minute.
- Slowly add the water and stock, stirring to mix thoroughly. Add the sausage, Worcestershire sauce, bay leaves, chicken, and remaining seasoning mixture. Bring everything to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer, cover and cook until chicken is very tender, approximately 1 hour.
- Remove the chicken and let it set to cool a little before removing meat from the bones. When cool enough to handle, remove meat and shred; add back shredded chicken back into the soup.
- Heat the soup until everything is heated thoroughly. Serve over rice.
|Prep Time: 1 hour|
Cook Time: 1 3/4 hours
Container: Dutch oven
|-||2 tablespoons Cajun seasoning|
|-||1 teaspoon salt|
|-||1/2 teaspoon pepper|
|-||3 pounds chicken, thighs|
|-||6 tablespoons canola oil|
|-||1/2 cup flour|
|-||3/4 cup finely chopped red pepper|
|-||3/4 cup finely chopped green pepper|
|-||1 onion (large), finely chopped|
|-||2 celery ribs, finely chopped|
|-||4 cloves garlic, minced|
|-||4 cups water|
|-||2 cups chicken broth|
|-||1 1/2 pounds Andouille sausage links, sliced|
|-||2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce|
|-||2 bay leaves|
|-|| Rice for serving|