- Prepare Angel Food cake according to package directions. Allow to cool completely.
- While the cake is baking and cooling, prepare the strawberries. Cut the berries into quarter. If some berries are fairly large you may want to cut them further. Place the berries in a large bowl.
- Sprinkle the quartered strawberries with the sugar. Stir to distribute sugar evenly and then set aside. Allow the strawberries and sugar to set for a while.
- As they set the sugar will draw the juices from the strawberries. As the juices form and the berries soften, mash them slightly with a fork. This will squeeze out more juices and soften the berries further to create a sauce.
- Do not mash all the berries, leave some quartered pieces so you have a mixture of sauce and strawberry quarters.
- Once the sauce is the desired consistency and the cake has cooled, it is ready to serve. Cut the cake into slices and spoon on the strawberry sauce. Top with a little Cool Whip and serve.
- Refrigerate any leftover sauce.
|Prep Time: 45 minutes|
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Container: Angel Food cake pan (tube pan)
|-||1 box Angel Food cake mix|
|-||2 pounds fresh strawberries|
|-||1/4 - 2/3 cup sugar, depending on ripeness of strawberries|
|-|| Cool Whip|