- In a saucepan, combine all the ingredients except for the vanilla.
- Cook over low heat, STIRRING CONSTANTLY, until sugar is all dissolved.
- Continue to cook on low until the mixture gets to the hard ball stage (256 degrees F. works well); stir frequently. It will take 2 - 3 hours for the temperature to reach this point.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla.
- Pour into a well-greased 10" x 15" x 1" baking sheet. Allow the caramel mixture to cool slightly; and then flip over turn out onto a greased work surface where you can cut the caramels.
- Allow the caramel mixture to cool until it is a handling temperature. Once the caramels can be handled, start cutting them to the desired size.
- Once the caramels are completely cooled, the excess grease can be wiped off with a paper towel and the caramels can be wrapped in plastic wrap pieces.
|Prep Time: 1.5 hours|
Cook Time: 3 hours
|-||2 cups sugar|
|-||1 cup brown sugar|
|-||1 cup light corn syrup|
|-||1 cup heavy cream|
|-||1 cup butter|
|-||1 cup milk|
|-||1 teaspoon vanilla|