Note: 3 cups of cake flour can be substituted for the 2 5/8 cups of all-purpose flour and 3/8 cup of cornstarch if preferred.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. and grease and flour bottom and sides of cake pans.
- In a mixing bowl, cream butter until light and fluffy. Add sugar and mix. Gradually add eggs and vanilla; mix well.
- Combine dry ingredients together; then add alternating with the milk. Mix until just well blended together.
- Pour batter into prepared cake pans. Divide evenly.
- Bake for approximately 30 minutes, until golden brown on the top and center is firm. Or the cake is done when a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. If the center seems fairly firm but the toothpick comes out just a little moist, remove the cakes from the oven. If you over bake them the cakes will be dry.
- Allow the cakes to cool for 10 minutes in the pan and then turn them out onto a cooling rack. Allow to cool completely before starting to decorate.
Note : Store bought frosting could be used or any of your favorite homemade frostings recipes could be used as long as it is firm enough.
- Combine powdered sugar, butter, vanilla, and a small amount of milk in mixing bowl, beat on low speed.
- Gradually add a little milk to obtain the consistency that you are looking for. Be sure the frosting is firm enough to hold its shape.
- Once you have reached the desired consistency take out about 1 or 2 tbsp. of frosting and set aside to color later for the stem.
- Add yellow food coloring and a little red coloring to the remaining frosting to create the orange frosting. Keep adding until you have reached the desired color.
- Place the first layer of cake on a plate and cover the top with a layer of frosting; then place the second layer on top.
- Spread and even layer of frosting on the top and sides of the cake. Smooth the tops and sides as much as possible.
- Cut black licorice pieces to make the eyes and mouth of the pumpkin face. Add spider rings to the cake.
- Color the reserved frosting green and spread on cake to resemble a stem.
- The cake is ready to serve. If not serving immediately, cover and place in the refrigerator.
|Prep Time: 45 minutes|
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Container: Two 8-inch round cake pans
|-||1 cup unsalted butter |
|-||2 cups sugar |
|-||4 eggs |
|-||1 1/4 teaspoons vanilla |
|-||2 5/8 cups flour |
|-||3/8 cup cornstarch |
|-||1/2 teaspoon salt |
|-||1 tablespoon baking powder |
|-||1 cup milk |
|-||3 cups powdered sugar |
|-||2 tablespoons butter - softened|
|-||2 teaspoons vanilla |
|-||3 tablespoons milk |
|-|| Food coloring (yellow,red, green)|