- Peel and cut potato into cubes. Chop the onion and place it in a small saucepan with the potato cubes. Cover with water and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat once it is boiling; then cover and simmer until potatoes soft when poked with a fork (10 to 15 minutes).
- Drain the water off and then mash the potatoes and onions together until smooth; set aside. (Note: you need about 3/4 cup of mashed potatoes & onions to add to this recipe.)
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the egg, butter, honey or syrup, cheese, parsley, salt, pepper, yeast (dry-do not mix with water), warm milk, mashed potato mixture, and 3 cups of flour. Mix all ingredients together until well mixed.
- Add enough of the remaining cup of flour to make the dough just stiff enough to be able to knead. Mix in with hands if necessary.
- When just stiff enough to knead, place the dough on a lightly floured surface and knead the bread for approximately 8 minutes.
- When done kneading, divide the dough into 3 even sections. Working on the floured surface, roll and form each section into an 18" long rope.
- Place the 3 ropes on a large greased baking sheet. Gather the 3 ropes at one end and then begin to braid the sections together. When you have the entire loaf braided, pinch each end together and tuck under.
- Cover the loaf with a light kitchen towel and place the loaf in a warm place to rise. Allow the loaf to rise to double in size. This should take approximately 60 minutes, depending on how warm the area is where it is place.
- Once the loaf has double in size, brush the top with the egg wash and sprinkle with extra parmesan cheese.
- Preheat oven to 350° F. and bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until it is a nice golden brown.
- When done, remove it from the baking sheet immediately and place on a cooling rack.
- When cooled, it is ready to slice and serve.
|Prep Time: 1 hour|
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Container: large cookie sheet
|-||1 large Yukon Gold potato|
|-||1 small onion|
|-||1 egg |
|-||2 tablespoons butter - softened|
|-||1 tablespoon honey or light corn syrup|
|-||1/4 cup grated Parmesan |
|-||1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley |
|-||1 1/2 teaspoons salt |
|-||1/4 teaspoon pepper |
|-||1 package yeast - dry active, 1/4 oz.|
|-||1 cup milk - warmed to 70 - 80 degrees|
|-||4 cups bread flour |
|-||1 egg - beat lightly for egg wash|
|-|| Extra parmesan cheese|