- Now you have to understand that pickling cabbage takes time, BUT! it comes out very delicious. A family of two will eat 1.5 lbs of cabbage in 3-4 days during family dinners.
- I normally cook 1.5 lbs to 10lb. depending on the occasion and mood.
- Pickling cabbage by this recipe takes 3-4 days. In my house it takes 3 days, in your house it may be ready sooner or in more than 3 days. Everything depends on the place and the temperature in your house. The cabbage has to "sit" in a dark, warm place and you have to choose a container for pickling that will keep the cabbage pressed and warm during the process of pickling.
- Shred the cabbage and the carrots. (carots should be previously peeled and washed). Squeeze and mix carrots and cabbage; put in a pickling container.
- Prepare the pickling mixture; preheat the water. When it starts boiling, add the salt, sugar, and bay leaves. Wait until it starts boiling again and then turn the gas off. Cool the mixture and pour it into the container with the cabbage.
- Take the peppercorns and put it in the cabbage; use as many as you wish. Press the cabbage and put into a dark warm place. (I put it on top of my fridge under a wok frying pan)
- Stir everyday so that the juices will spread evenly.
- On day 3 or 4 check for readiness. The cabbage should have a slight amount of foam on top. Not a lot.
- If the cabbage is ready, take a handful and squeeze it. Put in another clean container. When you put all the cabbage into a new container, put washed cranberries on top and cover with the lid.
P.S.: You can cook soup or bake a pie with this sauerkraut, as well as make a lot of salads.
- To serve the homemade sauerkraut, just finely chop the onion and take from your container as much cabbage as you need. Add salt, pepper, and 1 tablespoon of olive oil; mix everything very well.
- Serve with mashed potatoes and chicken or turkey.
|-||3 pounds cabbage shredded (it is one big white cabbage, normally)|
|-||1 cup shredded carrots (normally it is one big carrot)|
|-||1/2 teaspoon bay leaves grinded|
|-||10 black peppercorns |
|-||1 litre or 33.81 fluid ounces of water|
|-||2 tablespoons salt|
|-||1 1/2 tablespoons sugar|
|-||1 cup cranberries|