- Combine flour, shortening, salt, milk, and mix until well blended. Form dough into a ball and then flatten. Roll out dough and put into a 9 inch pie plate.
- Bake at 350°F until crust is golden brown. Remove from the oven and set aside.
- Combine sugar, cornstarch and salt in a sauce pan.
- Beat egg yolks and cold water together and add to the mixture in the saucepan; and then add the lemon juice and butter.
- Pour in the boiling water and bring this mixture to a full boil; boil for one minute.
- Remove from the heat and add the lemon extract; stir to mix well and then pour into the baked pie crust.
- Beat egg whites to a soft peak; and then add the powdered sugar and cream of tartar. Beat until whites form stiff peaks.
- Spread over pie filling and bake at 350°F until meringue is golden brown. It is best to let the pie cool before serving to allow the filling to firm up.
|Prep Time: 1.5 hours|
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Container: 9 inch pie pan or plate
|-||1/2 cup flour|
|-||1/4 cup shortening|
|-||1/8 teaspoon salt|
|-||2 tablespoons milk|
|-||1 1/2 cups sugar|
|-||6 tablespoons cornstarch|
|-||1/4 teaspoon salt|
|-||1/2 cup cold water|
|-||3 egg yolks|
|-||1/2 cup lemon juice|
|-||2 tablespoons butter|
|-||1 1/2 cups boiling water|
|-||1/2 teaspoon lemon extract|
|-||3 egg whites|
|-||1/2 cup powdered sugar|
|-||1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar|