- In a large stock pot, add water, ham bone and pre-soaked beans. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until beans are close to soft.
- Remove bone and cut off remaining meat.
- Remove 1/3 of beans and mash with potato masher or food processor. Return ham and beans back to stock pot and add onion, carrots, celery, garlic powder, pepper and paprika.
- If you are using drippings from a previously cooked ham add those now.
- Simmer until vegetables are tender and serve.
|Prep Time: 1.5 hours|
Cook Time: 3 hours
|-||1 pound dry navy beans, soaked overnight|
|-||4 quarts water|
|-||1 pound leftover ham bone with meat attached|
|-||1 onion, finely diced|
|-||2 carrots, sliced|
|-||2 stalks celery, diced|
|-||1/4 teaspoon garlic powder|
|-||1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper|
|-||1/2 teaspoon paprika|