Note: This turkey can also be cooked in an oven-safe cooking bag. This will reduce the cooking time significantly. The turkey is roasted at 350° for approximately 12 minutes per pound of turkey. Follow the preparation steps shown above and see the package directions for using the oven bag. You will be surprised how quickly your turkey will cook.
- This process is the same for any turkey no matter what size. Preheat oven to 325°.
- Clean and wash turkey thoroughly, removing neck, giblet / liver packages from cavities. Rinse the turkey inside and out; drain and pat dry. Rub the inside with salt and pepper
- Chop vegetables and apple; stuff in largest cavity of the turkey. Tie legs together at the ends if they were not sealed together when purchased. This will help hold the stuffing in place.
- Stuff tabs of butter under the skin on the breast of the turkey. Place 4 or 5 tabs on each side of the breast.
- Rub outside of bird generously with salt and pepper. Place turkey breast side up in the roasting pan, preferably on a roasting rack.
- Put in the preheated oven. Bake 20 minutes per pound of turkey.
- Test for doneness. The breasts should be 170° and the thigh should be 180°. If you don't have a thermometer, poke the breast and thigh area with a fork. If the juices run clear, it is done.
- Remove from oven - carve and serve.
|Prep Time: 45 minutes|
Cook Time: 5 hours
Container: Roasting pan
|-||15 pounds turkey|
|-||1 apple, chopped|
|-||1 carrots, cut into 1 inch lengths|
|-||1 onion, cut into 12 wedges|
|-||1 celery cut into 1/4 inch cubes|
|-||1 stick butter or margarine|