That's the basic recipe. From there, you can add as you like -
• Herbs and other flavorings; oregano, tarragon, cilantro, extra garlic are all good - Worcestershire or A-1 are both good
• Tomato paste - 1 small can makes it very rich
• Grated Parmesan cheese also makes it very rich
Instead of bread crumbs, you can use -
• Crumbled dried white or wheat bread with extra herbs and spices
• Crumbled Ritz or saltine crackers (not my favorite)
• Panko bread crumbs
• Pepperidge Farm Herbed Stuffing Mix
Whatever you decide on - mix it all in a big bowl. Mixing with your hands is best.
Place in a large loaf pan or a 9X13 pan.
If you want, top with this mixture:
• 1/4 c. ketchup
• 1/4 c. mustard
• 2 T. brown sugar
Place in a 350 oven and bake for about 45 minutes for 9X13 pan, or 1 hr. for loaf pan. It's done when the edges are golden brown and it's bubbly all across the surface.