Preparing Dense Vegetables to Add to Soup:
- Clean vegetables properly before preparing.
- Peel the skin off from vegetables such as carrots, potatoes, sweet potatoes parsnips and turnips.
- Dense vegetables should be cut into small consistent size pieces to allow them to cook evenly and thoroughly.
- If using a slow cooker, onions are slow to cook so cut them into small pieces so they will cook thoroughly. Onions are slow to cook in a slow cooker. Sautéing the onions before adding them to the slow cooker is a good way to ensure they will cook thoroughly.
- Onions and other dense vegetables can also be sautéed for added color, flavor, and firmness before adding them to the soup, whether it is cooked in a slow cooker or on the stovetop.