To bake the squash follow the steps below.
- Cut squash in half and remove seeds and stringy fibers.
- Place squash halves cut side down in a baking dish, pierce the skin several times to prevent the squash from exploding while it is baking.
- Bake at 350°F. for 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Check squash for doneness by poking with a fork. Squash should be tender when pierced.
- When done, scrape the cooked squash away from the skin and place in a bowl.
- If squash has a lot of stringy fibers, whip with an electric mixer to remove them. Otherwise, mash with a fork and add 2 to 3 tablespoons of butter and season to taste.