Over cooking the pasta will also cause the pasta to become soft. For perfectly cooked pasta see cooking tips below.
- When cooking fresh pasta, test often for doneness because it cooks quickly.
- Use plenty of water to prevent the pasta from sticking together.
- Adding salt to the water when cooking pasta will help firm the pasta and bring out its flavor.
- To bring pasta water to a boil more quickly, cover the pot with a lid while you are heating the water. Do not cover the pot while cooking the pasta.
- To prevent pasta from boiling over, place a wooden spoon or fork across the top of the pot while the pasta is boiling.
- If combining different pastas, be sure to select shapes and sizes that are similar so that they will cook in the same amount of time.