Adding sugar to your strawberries will also bring out their natural juices. When you are trying to make a fresh strawberry sauce
the sugar will help create the juices. See the simple steps below on how to make a quick strawberry sauce.
- Cut the strawberries into quarters and place them in a bowl. Slightly mash the berries.
- Sprinkle the mashed strawberries with sugar, approximately 1/4 cup of sugar per pint. More or less sugar can be used, depending on the sweetness of the berries.
- Gently stir the strawberries and sugar to mix them and then place them in the refrigerator for 1 to 2 hours.
- After allowing to stand in the refrigerator, remove the strawberries and finish mashing them until they are the desired consistency.
- Taste the sauce and if more sugar is needed, add a small amount at a time until it is at the desired sweetness.
- The fresh strawberry sauce can be used to top shortcake, ice cream, other desserts or eaten as a sauce on its own.