Cutting cakes into layers it’s called torting
. To make sure the cake is cut into even layers it should be marked before cutting.
- Use a ruler and measure up from the bottom of the cake. Insert a toothpick half way up the cake if making two layers; one third and two thirds up if cutting into 3 layers.
- Insert the toothpicks at the 12, 3, 6, and 9 o'clock positions.
- Using a long serrated knife, use the toothpicks as a guide when slicing. Cut in a back and forth sawing motion with the knife placed on top of the toothpick.
- Using the other hand to hold and rotate the cake as you cut, turn the cake as you are cutting, keeping the knife level and use the toothpicks at each position as your guide.
- After you have cut through the entire cake, carefully remove the layer by using the flat side of the knife and the palm of your hand to lift the layer off. and place it on a piece of wax paper.
- Brush crumbs from layers and assemble cake as required.