You may not have cake flour on hand when you have a recipe that calls for it but this substitution allows you to still be able to make the cake as called for in the recipe. Shown below are some more Cake Baking Tips
to help you create the perfect cake.
How to prevent the center from falling:
- Measure the ingredients carefully. Too much sugar or baking powder can cause the center of the cake to fall. Too much liquid can cause the sides and the top to cave in.
- Do not overbeat the sugar, fat, and eggs before adding the flour.
- Do not undercook. Check for doneness before the end of the suggested cooking time.
- Do not disturb the cake during the baking process. A jolt or a cold draft of air can cause the cake to cave in.
How to prevent the center from forming a peak:
- Do not overbeat the batter when adding the flour. Mix just enough to get the flour combined with the other ingredients.
- Do not use too hot of an oven. Too high a temperature will cause the crust to form on the cake too quickly and this will cause it to form a peak.