Freezing the cake at least for a day will help make the cake easier to decorate. A frozen cake is also easier to work with when it comes to trimming and cutting. Leveling and torting a cake will produce fewer crumbs when the cake is frozen and the layers will be easier to handle.
- When freezing a cake, cool completely before wrapping.
- Wrap the cake tightly in plastic wrap and then again in foil.
- Once the cakes are wrapped and completely sealed, they are ready to be placed in the freezer.
- If you do not have time to freeze the cake overnight, freezing it for at least 2 or 3 hours will help when it comes time to decorate it.
- Remove the cake from the freezer just before you are ready to work with it.