To add bacon adjust your recipe and prepare the bacon, onions, and cabbage as shown below:
- While potatoes are boiling fry the bacon in a deep sided skillet. When bacon is nicely browned, remove it from the skillet.
- Remove the skillet with bacon grease from the heat and set aside.
- Once the potatoes are cooked and mashed, put the skillet with the bacon drippings back on the burner and heat up.
- Add the chopped onions and shredded cabbage to the drippings and sauté until they are soft and start to look translucent. The onions and cabbage will have just started to brown on some of the edges.
- Add the onions and cabbage to the potatoes as directed by the recipe. Crumble bacon and stir into the mixture.