An illness caused by eating food contaminated with clostridium botulinum bacteria. The bacteria grows rapidly in foods that are not stored properly. Foods that are canned improperly, such as asparagus, beets, corn, green beans, mushrooms, liver pate, and tuna may spoil and develop the bacteria spores that create botulism. Also, luncheon meats, ham, sausage, and smoked or salted fish can be improperly stored and develop the bacteria. Foods should be correctly packaged and stored at the proper temperature in order to prevent this bacterium from developing. Symptoms that may occur include double vision, swallowing or speaking difficulties, and respiratory system paralysis. If these symptoms occur, seek medical assistance immediately as this bacteria can be fatal.